Print Page

Beezlebugs

The mosquitos around here have me shell-shocked. Brings back memories of Unit 17, where they filmed The Chamber. When I arrived at the Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman, I was first housed at Unit 17 where they still carry out the court ordered executions. Not exactly good memories. Fighting these mosquitos is a full-time job, unless you can become accustomed to the parasites slowly draining your very life force. Since I've not been with my ex for a while, I'm not used to that anymore.

Like fighting the Hydra, you cut off one head and two grow to replace it. And all the nagging and sniping and picking apart everything you say . . . But I digress. Enough about my ex.

These things have me shook though. I jerk every time it feels like a mosquito has landed on me. If I think I've seen something move from the corner of my eye, I find myself scanning the walls, the ceiling, the floor. You would too if you've ever woken up looking like you'd been on the receiving end of a serious beating. Knots on your forehead. Lips and nose swollen. My nose and lips are big enough already. They don't need help.

There have been times I woke up and it looked like I was in the middle of a crime scene on CSI. Blood on the sheets, blood in my fan, blood splatter on the walls. And you know the worst part? You don't know if the blood is yours or someone else's.

With that in mind, there have been times I've been housed around prisoners with diseases like HIV and Hepatitis C. Even though doctors and scientists claim that mosquitos cannot spread these diseases, part of me wonders. Mosquitos are carriers of disease though, primarily Malaria and West Nile Encephalitis. That's all I need, a case of Encephalitis. Maybe my brain will swell to fit my head.

Fact: Ten to thirty percent of people who contract Malaria will die, even if they're treated. One million people will die from Malaria this year.

Sometimes the mosquitos will get sucked into the fan and then shot back out and still be alive. Always reminds me of the Terminators when they have to drag themselves by their arms. The mosquitos will be all broken up, unable to fly and barely able to crawl - and they'll still be trying to bite you!

You turn the light off and are just about to fall asleep . . . and get bitten. You turn the light back on and search the entire room. Everywhere. No sign of it. Turn the light back off, lay back down, and immediately get bitten again. Beezlebug. Satan in a smaller package. (No, I'm not talking about my ex again. Though the analogy could certainly apply.)

Print Page
0 comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Steven Farris is a prisoner who has been incarcerated since a month after his 16th birthday in 1998. Currently serving a life sentence without the possibility for parole, he is seeking to educate the public about the true nature of prison and the widespread and negative effects of the prison industrial complex. Steven has worked with both the National Prison Project of the ACLU, as well as the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund in furthering this effort.

You can contact him directly at:
Steven Farris #R5580
WCCC
P.O. Box 1889
Woodville, MS 39669-1889

Check out my other blog . . .

Followers

Powered by Blogger.